All Notebooks | Help | Support | About
Archives
Sections
Substituent
Spectroscopic Method
Tools
Show/Hide Keys
6th May 2012 @ 17:11
Spectroscopic Method: HPLC
Substituent: Methoxy
HPLC Chromatogram of (3E)-3-(4-Methoxybenzylidene)-1,3-dihydro-2H-indol-2-one:

HPLC Chromatogram of (3E)-3-(4-Methoxybenzylidene)-1,3-dihydro-2H-indol-2-one


The High Performance Liquid Chromatography chromatogram of (3E)-3-(4-Methoxybenzylidene)-1,3-dihydro-2H-indol-2-one shows a single sharp peak at 5.956 retention time which confirms that a single isomer has been isolated in this compound. The peaks at 3.600 and 6.794 retention times are due impurities. The percentage area peak of this single isomer confirms the percentage yield of this compound to be 64.53% which is in line with the calculated percentage yield of 65%.
Attached Files
6th May 2012 @ 17:07
Spectroscopic Method: HPLC
Substituent: Bromo
HPLC Chromatogram of (3E)-3-(4-Bromobenzylidene)-1,3-dihydro-2H-indol-2-one:

HPLC Chromatogram of (3E)-3-(4-Bromobenzylidene)-1,3-dihydro-2H-indol-2-one


The two sharp peaks at 6.876 and 7.388 retention times confirm the presence of (E)- and (Z)- isomers of (3E)-3-(4-Bromobenzylidene)-1,3-dihydro-2H-indol-2-one while the two speaks at 3.596 and 4.715 retention times are due to impurities. The percentage yields of these two isomers (E) - and (Z) - are 12% and 42% respectively.
Attached Files
6th May 2012 @ 17:04
Spectroscopic Method: HPLC
Substituent: Chloro
HPLC Chromatogram of (3E)-3-(4-Chlorobenzylidene)-1,3-dihydro-2H-indol-2-one:

HPLC Chromatogram of (3E)-3-(4-Chlorobenzylidene)-1,3-dihydro-2H-indol-2-one


The two major sharp peaks at 6.396 and 6.788 retention times confirm the presence of two isomers (E and Z)- in this compound, (3E)-3-(4-Chlorobenzylidene)-1,3-dihydro-2H-indol-2-one, while the small peak at 4.212 retention time is due to the presence of impurities. The areas of these two isomers are 23.9136% and 75.5619% which suggest that their percentage yield are 18% and 57% for (E)- and (Z)- isomers respectively since their total percentage yield is 75%.
Attached Files
6th May 2012 @ 17:02
Spectroscopic Method: ATIR-FT-IR
Substituent: Bromo
ATIR-FT-IR Spectrum of (3E)-3-(4-Bromobenzylidene)-1,3-dihydro-2H-indol-2-one

ATIR-FT-IR Spectrum of (3E)-3-(4-Bromobenzylidene)-1,3-dihydro-2H-indol-2-one


Interpretation of ATIR-FT-IR Spectrum of (3E)-3-(4-Bromobenzylidene)-1,3-dihydro-2H-indol-2-one:

ATIRFT-IR Wave Number (cm-1)AssignmentRemarks
3141N-H stretching vibration
(v(N-H) (1o amide)
Symmetrical stretching vibrations of the NH group
3077Aromatic C-H stretching vibration (v(C-H)C-H aromatic stretching in the region 3100-3000cm-1
3024Aryl-HOften obscured and appears on the region 3010-3040cm-1
2898C-H stretching vibrationSaturated C-H stretching at the region 2840-2930cm-1
1700C=O stretching vibration (v(C=O)Attributed to the carbonyl functional group and shows strong bands at 1650-1900cm-1.
1611Benzene RingDue to presence of aromatic ring
1485Phenyl GroupDue to skeleton vibration of the phenyl group bands at 1500, 1580 and 1600cm-1
1204Aromatic aliphaticVery strong bands on the region 1300-1200cm-1
743C-BrSharp weaker bands on the region 750-500cm-1
Attached Files
6th May 2012 @ 16:53
Spectroscopic Method: ATIR-FT-IR
Substituent: Chloro
ATIR-FT-IR Spectrum of (3E)-3-(4-Chlorobenzylidene)-1,3-dihydro-2H-indol-2-one

ATIR-FT-IR Spectrum of (3E)-3-(4-Chlorobenzylidene)-1,3-dihydro-2H-indol-2-one


Interpretation of ATIR-FT-IR Spectrum of (3E)-3-(4-Chlorobenzylidene)-1,3-dihydro-2H-indol-2-one:

ATIRFT-IR Wave Number (cm-1)AssignmentRemarks
3139N-H stretching vibration
(v(N-H) (1o amide)
Symmetrical stretching vibrations of the NH group in the region 3190-3170cm-1
3078Aromatic C-H stretching vibration (v(C-H)C-H aromatic stretching in the region 3100-3000cm-1
3023Aryl-HOften obscured and appears on the region 3010-3040cm-1
2963C-H stretching vibrationsDue to CH3 group in the aromatic ring.
2899C-HSaturated C-H stretching at the region 2840-2930cm-1
1700C=O stretching vibration (v(C=O)Attributed to the carbonyl functional group and shows strong bands at 1650-1900cm-1.
1612Aromatic ringsDue to presence of aromatic ring
737C-HC-H out of plane deformation shows ortho-disubstituted benzene ring on the region 770-735cm-1
668C-ClDue to the presence of C-Cl bond shows band on the region 800-600cm-1
Attached Files